Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Project Space Was....(Reflect)


Naomi Flores
Professor Lawson
English 113B
Reflection
3/28/13
Project Space Reflection
1.      I chose El Pavo Bakeries in Glendale because it is located in the part of Glendale that is populated with the Latino community. The locations of the bakery is scarce and mostly in Los Angeles. It is small but quite satisfying for its products especially the taste of the sweet breads. My family has known the bakery since their arrival to the US during the 80’s. Every January 6 Mexico celebrates Dia de Los Reyes Magos (Day of the Wise Men), which recognizes the wise men that brought gifts when Jesus was born. Besides National holidays, my family and I add this event to the list of celebrations. In addition, this tradition/holiday includes circular, large, sweet breads that have a small plastic baby inside. Furthermore, my family always buys this rosca (sweet bread) at El Pavo. I realized that objectively the bakery is small but observing closely the bakery provides an insight into culture and appreciation of one’s cultural roots.
2.      Project Web was internet-based research and posting blogs about an issue, but Project Space was interactive and exploring places that surround communities that serve a purpose. Project Web was a cyberspace experience that set a particular environment to interact, while Project Space was taking notes and observing the location without any outside information. Also, Project Space was associating the place with subculture or a community and what is the importance.
3.      The difficult issue I had was trying to find a clear connection between my location and relate to a community or subculture. There were several connections I had in mind, but I felt that I was going “off topic” from the prompt. Also,  it was hard to find the focus when the prompt asked no specific question, besides the content of what should be included in the essay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment